Study Permit Inside Canada


When to extend your study permit
The expiry date on your study permit tells you when you have to stop studying and leave Canada. You can find the expiry date in the top right corner of your permit. This date is usually the length of your study program, plus 90 days. The extra 90 days gives you time to prepare to leave Canada or to extend your status as a visitor in Canada.

If you want to keep studying, you need to extend your study permit. You should apply to extend your permit at least 30 days before it expires. Make sure your passport doesn’t expire at the same time. You can’t extend your study permit beyond your passport’s expiry date.
If you apply before your permit expires, you can stay in Canada under the same conditions as your current study permit until you get a decision.
You should apply to extend your study permit if you plan to travel outside Canada and your permit will expire while you are travelling.
If your study permit expires, and you haven’t applied for an extension, you must leave Canada.


If you will finish your studies earlier than you expected
Your permit will expire 90 days after the day you complete your studies, no matter what the expiry date on the permit is. The 90 days begin:

  • On the date you get the first notification from your school (such as an email, letter, transcript, etc.) that you completed your program OR
  • When you get your degree, diploma or certificate.

If you can’t prove the date you were first notified by your school, we will use the earliest issue date on the document. We may need to confirm this date with your school.
If you want to keep studying, you must apply to extend your study permit at least 30 days before your permit expires.

If you will finish your studies later than you expected
You must apply to extend your study permit at least 30 days before the original expiry date.

 What to do if your permit has expired
You have lost your status if you are still in Canada and:

  • The expiry date of your permit passed before you had applied for
    • A new study permit
    • A work permit, or
    • To stay in Canada as a visitor
  • You didn’t respect the conditions of your permit.


In some cases, you may apply to restore your status as a student. To apply, you must:

  • Submit your application within 90 days of losing your status
  • Keep meeting the requirements for your stay
  • Have met all the conditions listed on your permit, and
  • Pay your fees
  • Restoration ($200) and
  • Study permit ($150)