Post graduate Entrepreneurship Stream
The Post-Graduate Entrepreneurial Stream was developed for recent foreign graduates from a post-secondary school in New Brunswick (NB) or the NB Community College. They have studied for at least two years full-time. The graduate must have subsequently started or acquired a business in New Brunswick and operated it for at least one year while on a valid Post graduate Work Permit. They must also settle in the province permanently.
Qualifications for the Post graduate Entrepreneurship Program:
- Age range of 22 to 40 years.
- Language proficiency at or above CLB 7 in English or French, covering reading, writing, listening, and speaking skills.
- A score of at least 65 out of 100 on the New Brunswick PGES points assessment.
- Completion of a full-time degree or diploma, lasting at least two years (15 class hours weekly), from a recognized New Brunswick university or the New Brunswick Community College.
- Residency in New Brunswick during the period of academic study (excluding distance learning or compressed programs).
- Ownership and operation of a New Brunswick business for at least one year, with 100% business equity.
- Possession of a valid post-graduation work permit.
- Demonstrated intent and ability to settle in New Brunswick.
Connection to New Brunswick
The stream is open to individuals who have completed a 2-year degree in the province and operated their own business for one full year. The ideal candidate will have a degree from a recognized institution and should communicate in both official languages. They must also reside within NB during their academic period.
All candidates must communicate in English or French, appropriate for the Canadian Language Benchmark level 7.
Level of Education
This stream is only available to candidates who have completed at least one two-year post-secondary program within New Brunswick.
You must be between 22 – 40 years old on the day your application is received.
You must score at least 65 points on the New Brunswick Assessment Grid to qualify for the stream.
Expression of Interest Scoring Criteria:
Find out if you are eligible to get in Canada →
Business Eligibility for the Post graduate Entrepreneurship Program:
- Operational Duration: Must have been active for at least one year before application.
- Ownership: 100% ownership by the applicant.
- Compensation: Salary must meet or exceed the Low Income Cut-Off (LICO) by 10%, as defined by Statistics Canada.
- Employment Creation: At least one full-time job for a Canadian citizen or permanent resident (excluding family members), with wages at prevailing levels and directly related to the business.
- Business Purpose: Initiated as a career goal, not just for immigration.
- Active Management: Applicant must be actively involved in daily management and operations from within New Brunswick, assuming risks and guiding business direction.
- Financial Health: Business should be profitable and economically viable, as verified by a designated NB Audit Verifier.
- Business Structure: Should be a sole proprietorship or corporation.
- Nature of Business: Either a continuation of an existing business or a new startup.
- Profit Orientation: Must be for-profit, primarily earning through goods and/or services sales.
- Tax Status: Classified as a “permanent establishment” under Canadian tax laws.
- Economic Contribution: Should significantly benefit New Brunswick’s economy through various means like manufacturing, research, innovation, etc.
- Tax Compliance: Must pay income tax on earnings in New Brunswick.
- Legal Compliance: Adherence to all provincial and Canadian laws.
- Licenses and Permits: Obtain all necessary authorizations from relevant authorities.
- Sale Restriction: Commitment to not sell the business for at least three years post permanent residence receipt.
Ineligible Business Activities include:
Potentially Eligible Activities under certain conditions:
Non-Qualifying Characteristics include:
Application Process and Settlement in New Brunswick:
- Expression of Interest (EOI) Submission: Applicants enter a pool and are scored based on the PGES system.
- Invitation to Apply (ITA): Post-ITA, a complete application must be submitted within 90 days.
- Application and Interview: Includes an audit report, business review, and an in-person interview with a site visit.
- Permanent Residence Application: Apply to IRCC with the nomination certificate, valid for six months.
- Reporting Landing: Report arrival using designated forms within 30 days of receiving the visa.