Inland Spousal Common Law Sponsorship Open Work Permit

Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada may be eligible to apply for an open work permit. To do so, they must first join their spouses or common-law partners who live in this country with them through the inland spousal sponsorship process from inside Canada. The applicants should make sure that all criteria requirements match those set out by immigration services.

A successful work permit application will grant the foreign national an open one that permits them to work in any location of their choice while their permanent residency is processed.

When you apply for your spousal sponsorship open work permit, the application procedure will vary depending on what status and stage of permanent residency applications are currently pending. If foreign national wants to enter Canada with them or want employment opportunities within our borders, then an authorized visa might be required instead! To prevent future immigration issues, avoid engaging in work activities without a legal permit.

Want to apply for a Canadian visa? Click here to start the process with our help →

Inland Spousal Common-Law Sponsorship Open Work Permit

Eligibility Criteria For Inland Spousal Common Law Sponsorship

To apply for a spousal sponsorship open work permit, you must have applied for permanent residency from within Canada through the inland stream of our spouse sponsorship program.

  • To ensure a smooth sponsorship process, be sure you have submitted all of your application documents and payment information. 
  • The CPC will not start processing any applications without this required documentation or proof that funds can be made available immediately for these expenses!
  • Sponsorship applications must be submitted to the Case Processing Centre.

Approval In Principle (AIP)

IRCC has cleared your permanent residence application, but the processing for medical exams and security/background checks have not been completed. It means that while it successfully passed through several stages, IRCC may still deny you.

A foreign national who is out of status in Canada must wait until their permanent residence application has received approval before they can apply for a work permit.

Spousal Common Law Sponsorship

Outland Sponsorship

An Outland application is generally pursued when the sponsored partner is living outside of Canada. However, Outland applicants can still be in Canada and apply through the Outland program and may be permitted to travel in and out of Canada throughout the application process. Outland applications are processed through the visa office that serves the applicant’s country of origin, or where they have resided legally for at least one year. 

Inland Spousal Common Law Sponsorship

The other potential option for Spousal/Common-Law Sponsorship is the Inland route. Inland sponsorship is when the couple is together in Canada and the foreign spouse/common-law partner has temporary status in Canada, either as a worker, student, or visitor. The person being sponsored may be eligible for an Open Work Permit, allowing him or her to work for any employer in Canada while the sponsorship application is being processed.

After Sponsorship

Permanent residence granted under the Spousal Sponsorship program carries certain conditions that must be met:

  • The sponsor is financially responsible for the person sponsored for three years after the sponsored person becomes a Permanent Resident.
  • Individuals who come to Canada as spouses are themselves barred from sponsoring a spouse in turn for five years after receiving Canadian Permanent Residence.

Want to apply for a Canadian visa? Click here to start the process with our help →